Golf was first played properly on this site in 1910 when a group of local dignitaries laid out a short course on land owned by the Williams family of Werrington Park. This early course was on the western part of the current course.
During the First World War golf was suspended and only really restarted in 1927 which the Club officially treats as its birth date. Over the years the course developed into a nine hole layout starting at the current second hole, with the ninth green and Clubhouse around the area of the current 16th green and 17th green. Interesting features included playing over fences and hedges which thankfully no longer exist!
In the 1960s & early 70s a group of members put together a plan to extend the course to 18 holes and to convert a farm building nearer St. Stephens into a bigger Clubhouse. Planning issues, including a possible primary school proposed for part of the site were overcome and the members soon had a full 18 holes to play and a new Clubhouse to change and drink in.
For more of this struggle and hard work by the members look out for “A History of Launceston Golf Club“, written by Peter Rickard which sold out of it’s first print run but the new run has now arrived. Contact the office for details.